Best of luck to all for 2011 Season !!!



Saturday, October 10, 2009

Champion Bytch: 'Quiet Lady'

Tristan O Herlihy owner / trainer of this seasons Champion Bytch 'Quiet Lady' of Fairhill Club.

Seasons Results:
First: 10 wins
Second: 1
Third: 0
Fourth: 1
Fifth: 0
Sixth: 0

How can a senior hound win champion bytch when she was missing for 16 weeks of the season. I met up with Tristan O Herlihy, trainer & owner to find out......


Tristan: 'Well she's an honest hound. . . . . and that's it. ! Ah seriously though she is. I got her as a two year old. Before this she only got one puppy maiden win in England. She was bred out of 'Bellnomond' and 'Crafty', before I go any further I must pay my dues to Thomas Murray (badger) and a big thanks to Laura Steele, her previous owner.

When I got her in November 2 years ago now, she was a young two year old. Her first season here, I ran her senior maiden. For her, it was a different country with different ways / courses, so I wasn't too concerned about her ticketing as she always completed the course and finishing out of the tickets never worried me too much. When I lined her up at the Senior Maiden International last year at Crossbarry, Co Cork, she pleasently surprised me. She ran a great race and came home 1st to me after almost 44minutes. It was then she proved that distance was her strong point. Every hound has strong and weak points, the hard point is realising these !!!! Of all the hounds I've kept, there was something about this one that stood out to me, although it wasn't proven to others yet.

She'll only ever give her all in any drag race, AFTER the divide. In every race to date, people would phone me, or come back from the road and say 'No, forget it Stan, she's 3rd last at this road', I'd ask was this after the divide, the answer was always 'No'. Didn't bother me, she wasn't running yet. She knows she's coming home after the divide and runs like hell then.'

Above: Olivia practising the slip of a hound with her pet dog Jack .........

Well Tristan she started off this season as maiden and won the Southern Harriers Re-run on Wednesday, that Sunday won the Northern United drag, and then Wednesday won the NU Re-run. Three in a row seen her promoted to the senior ranks, running against fantastic hounds, were you worried by the competition ?

' I wasn't overly worried by this as I had great belief in 'Quiet Lady'. I knew she'd try her best in any race, so this to her was a race like any other. Her first race up senior, she came runner up to 'Magics Choice' at the Clogheen drag. It was close and I couldn't have been happier, 'Magics Choice' is a serious hound on the call and for her to be beaten, yet so close, gave me more confidence in her. This Clogheen re-run on Wednesday evening, she won her first win up senior. At Douglas that Bank Holiday Monday she won 1st and again the following week at Carrigtwohills re-run. The following Sunday at Northern Hunt she won and also won the re-run on Wednesday.

Tristan with 'Quiet Lady' and daughter Olivia with pet dog 'Jack'. What was the name of the pups you had for next year Stan ?


Then she broke down and came into heat in April. She was out for 16 weeks. Some may say this is the reason she was winning so much, but for those of us out there who keep bytches, what bytch will come back after 16 weeks, run a good drag out of the tickets at the Griffin United drag, line up the following week at Blarney for the Donal O Mahony, and run a fantastic race. After 37 minutes, She led them in to the line from the last road. I know she didn't win it in the end but in my heart she was a winner. I mean for her to stop at the judges at the line baffled me. It was a disappointing day, but there's a reason for everything, a reason I'll never understand in this life anyway !!!!!

September, I had high hopes for her at the Douglas drag, but she didn't get any ticket. She finished well but was badly injured, her pads were gone. She won the Clogheen drag two weeks later and the Fairhill re-run. At the All Ireland in Dripsey, again she ran a cracking race and even led the last road, but unfortunately didn't get any ticket.

She has a total of 64 points senior and 24 points maiden. I can ask for no better.

How do you forecast next season...

I reckon 'Quiet Lady' will be in her prime. She'll be an experienced 4 year old and hopefully injuries will stay away. I also have 2 pups for next year. I got them from Vanessa Simpson of Cumbria. They're off Some Man & Hollywood, the breeding is there I just hope the pups will be (at the finishing line). You need fierce luck when it comes to pups, and like I've always said 'You may think you have a good thing but wait until the cattle comes out and the wire is on .... that will tell the men from the boys'. It's a tough sport, but I love it.

Again I'd like to thank Laura Steel & Thomas Murray for 'Quiet Lady'. Lets not forget my fiancee Ciara Scally and my beautiful daughter Olivia, for their support and Pat Magic O Callaghan for helping me whenever he can. Thank You.....

Devoted Father to his daughter Olivia.

Fairhill would especially like to congratulate and thank Tristan for all his hardwork for the club, especially from Pat Magic O Callaghan, you make my role as chairman very easy.

No comments: